Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Picture day!

Last Saturday my mom and I got up early and went for a little drive. Our mission was to take pictures of old ramshackle barns and the like. We knew of one barn in particular that we wanted to take a picture of. We then headed to Micanopy. Micanopy (pronounced: Mick-uh-No-Pee) is a very small town. the 2010 census reports the population as 600. Since this is 2013, I imagine the population is more like 602 or 603 now. 
Micanopy boasts 3 main attractions: Payne's Prairie, antique shops, and the ball park. 
Here are some of our pictures...













The First Episcopal Church of Micanopy






An old shed covered in air potato vines






The town of Micanopy was settled in 1821 and named after a Seminole Chief. I wish I knew what Cholokka meant. 



We stopped at a roadside swamp for a few pictures, but the mosquitoes carried us back to the car before we could get very far.






While stopped on the side of the road we saw this golf cart pass us. We noticed he was carrying something extra. So we stopped him and asked to take pictures of his passenger. He was relocating an armadillo he caught in his garden. This is what the man had to say, "They're so dang stupid I didn't have bait the trap. He just walked in and I closed the door...This is the 5th one I've caught. I'm reuniting Ali Baba and his 40 thieves".


We saw a coyote run across the road earlier in the morning, we added the armadillo to our wildlife count.









 An old cracker house in the woods




No comments:

Post a Comment