Tuesday, September 18, 2012

One month


The ever faithful changing pad and adoring cousins Rosaline and Gwendolyn
My, how the time flies! Amelia is officially one month old today. I now realize this also means I haven't had a proper night's sleep in a month. It took some time, but I now accept my fate. It may be a while before I can sleep a full eight hours, or even five hours, I'd take five hours uninterrupted. It was a little rough at first, sleeping only 2 hours at time can take its toll. It turns out being a new, sleep deprived mom sends your paranoia into overdrive pretty quickly. The first couple of weeks Google and I became very close as I tried to learn about what strange diseases Amelia could potentially contract. I was also always exhausted and often wondered why people have multiple children, but I get it now. I no longer mind waking up at 3:00 a.m. because I know once she falls back asleep milk will drip out of her mouth and she'll smile - she has the cutest little smile. If I'm really lucky she might make some attempts at giggling too - that's what it sounds like anyway. It's taken some getting used to, but I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on things (I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself). I've gotten better at predicting when Our Lady of Perpetual Hunger will wake and make her presence known, so I can plan my eating and showering accordingly. A few weeks ago I felt extremely under prepared for the frequency and intensity of diaper changes, but now I mostly have it under control. The Betsy Wetsy doll I had as a kid was much easier to handle, I always knew when she was done peeing. Amelia on the other hand likes to surprise you. I've learned to keep a roll of paper towels nearby during a diaper change just in case she's not done leaving presents under the proverbial Christmas tree, and the contents of said presents leave the confines of the changing pad. I am so grateful for the changing pad. It is my favorite baby accessory. My life, and my bed, would not be the same without it. 
I feel like I've come a long way in a month, and it's just the beginning. I'm very excited to what this little girl has in store for us. 
If  Tintin   had a baby sister she would look like Amelia.

3 comments:

  1. So cute! I'm sure you're doing great mama! (And we all wonder why we have more than one kid! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie... you're great, and your Mom & I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motherhood is awesome and you are a fantastic mom. Sleep deprivation can make you a little crazy--that is for sure. But in those wee hours of the morn when it is just the two of you, sitting/rocking in the quiet darkness--well that is about as close to heaven as you can get here on earth. Give Amelia a kiss for me. (I am lovin that red hair!!!)

    ReplyDelete